"Break the barriers of communication through Education and Literacy and enable each DEAF child to reach his/her full potential and improve the quality of their life"
About the Academy
JS Academy’s main aim is to teach the deaf and hearing impaired children to read, write & communicate in their own language which is the Sign Language. We partner with other professionals in the field, collaborate with Government Department dealing with Special Education, conduct research in Sign Language and share our resources with the deaf institutions in the country with a hope of bridging the gap in deaf education and improve the status quo.
Before appearing in the test, the parents/guardian would have to get their ward’s name registered as a prospective student, after filling the prescribed form and paying the registration fee, i.e. charges for the Prospectus and Admission Test. Syllabus outline for the test would be provided with its date. The Registration fee, like other fees is non-refundable.
- The school has been operational since 2004 and has achieved a very high ranking in providing Quality Education to both deaf boys and girls.
- The school is professionally managed by a governing body and supervised by the Board of Trustees. The school is officially registered with the Government of Sindh Literacy and Education Department as well as with the Intermediate Board of Education.
- JS Academy is entirely dependent on charity. In a given year, we serve up to 150 families who have deaf children in their homes. Most of our students are heavily subsidized and assistance is made possible through donations received from caring & generous individuals, philanthropists and Business Organizations in the community
Management & staff
- At JS our caring, Master’s-level teachers are very committed & professional in their approach & make optimal use of highly individualized educational methods, multiple disciplines and today’s sophisticated IT technologies to transform the lives of our students.
- Both our hearing and deaf staff work selflessly to impart education to the deaf children and wholeheartedly dedicate themselves where ever or when ever a need arises to serve this Noble Cause.
- We have a Team of Professional Sign Language Interpreters who provide valuable service to the DEAF Communities of Pakistan. Our Sign Language Interpreters are fully trained and certified by hearing experts who are proficient in signing and aware of deaf culture
Ms. Laila Dossa – Founder/Chairperson
Mrs. Shehla Ali – Director of Development
Building and facilities
- The Academy is housed in a purpose built school building with lush green grounds for play area and has a conducive ambiance and environment to promote learning.
All the relevant structures are in place with fully functional departments consisting of Computer Lab, Fine Arts, Art & Crafts, Sewing and embroidery, Domestic science, Physical education, Library, Sign Language Research, Sign Language Teaching, Cultural & drama.
- At JS we ensure full participation of our students in all extra-curricular activities we offer. Our students love to participate in sports, dance, drama, art & debate competitions and almost everything their hearing peers can do.